Friday, June 26, 2015

Raspberry Pi and Bitcoin Mining - Tutorial / Experiment [Minera]

This is a basic tutorial on how to setup your Raspberry Pi for Bitcoin mining using the image for Minera


Minera is an all in one solution for Bitcoin mining on the Raspberry Pi and is relatively easy to setup.  

First you need to Download the Image file which can be found here:  http://getminera.com/, there is also an option for a Manual Install  but that is for full desktops/laptops not a Pi install.

Next using one off the Image writing instructions listed on this link, you need to write it to an SD card:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/README.md
I would recommend a 4 GB SD card and in this case the Class of the card doesn't really matter, I used a Class 4 Kingston micro card that I hadn't done anything with in a while.  

After writing the card all you need to do is put it into your Pi, I used a B+, and connect Network, powered USB hub with your miners plugged in and either a wired or wireless network connection, then add the power plug and wait about 3-5 minutes.

Next, you need to, most likely, after you power the Pi on, go to http://minera on your home network.  I tried this on mine, but I am running a domain and the DNS hadn't propagated yet, so I just went to my router and found out the IP address of the Pi that way and just typed in 192.169.1.20.

You will be brought to a screen that requires a login, the default password is minera .  Next you should see something like this on your web browser of choice.

This screenshot was my setup after running for about 15 minutes.

 There has been an upgrade to the version of Minera, to 0.6.0, since I took this screenshot, but I have not logged into it since I am away from home right now to update this capture.  There are some updated screenshots here:  http://getminera.com/#screenshots

The next steps are to go to Settings on the left hand side and input your Pool and Miner settings that you can customize on the fly.  I don't have any more screenshots that I took because they have my BTC Wallet info in them and I didn't have a chance to clean them before posting.

For most help related inquiries answers can either be found on the GitHub project page, here: https://github.com/michelem09/minera or the Forum page here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=596620.0

Please let me know if you have any question in the comments below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kurt,
    That project is on Pi Hunt this week Top List. Thanks for this amazing projects. We are happy to see your other amazing project on Pi Hunt.
    Regards,
    Bahar.
    http://www.pihunt.co/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the mention, I am truly honored!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It depends on what USB miner you use.
      Some of my miners are 330mhz others are 2.0ghz

      Delete
  3. I have an usb hub on my miner and in it my antminer u1.
    Now is the problem i don t can see the miner on this tool
    Where is the problem
    I need help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your USB Hub needs to have adequate power to by able to use it for mining.

      Delete
  4. so the usb miners has to be all install before you start cuz i just boot the software on my pi3b plus with out any miners and it ask for a login and password what that all about please explain thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I don't remember the setup from 3 years ago, but take a look at their site for more details.
      I haven't had this running in several years.

      Delete